Date:      Tue, 14 Mar 2006 12:42:21 -0500
From:      "Jud" <judmarc@fastmail.fm>
To:        mike@ascendency.net, "'Erik Trulsson'" <ertr1013@student.uu.se>, "'Duane Whitty'" <duane@greenmeadow.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Ports upgrade policy

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 08:35:46 -0600, "Mike Loiterman"
<mike@ascendency.net> said:
> Erik Trulsson <mailto:ertr1013@student.uu.se> wrote:
[snip]
> [...]
[snip]
> > Ports *are* tagged for each release, but they are not branched.
>
> Yes, I know, which is why I asked the question...which is better?

Considerations I can think of -

(1) Advantage of using -HEAD (-CURRENT): Updates to ports may include
security fixes.

(2) Disadvantage of using -HEAD (-CURRENT): It is possible, though
perhaps not likely, that an updated port would require something your
-RELEASE base system lacked.

Jud