Date:      Sat, 30 Sep 2000 16:49:43 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Ray Gilstrap <ratogi@eecs.berkeley.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: usb modem: /dev/???

On Fri, 29 Sep 2000, Ray Gilstrap wrote:

> Just got my hands on a Ricochet wireless box that claims to look like a
> USB modem.  I'm running 4.1.1-S, and the umodem driver appears to
> recognize it:
>
> umodem0:  , rev 1.10/1.00, addr 2, iclass 2/2
>
> Trouble is, I don't know what entry in /dev to use to access the modem.
> Does anyone know the magic mknod parameters I should use to create the
> proper device?

You need to make a device for /dev/umodemX, however MAKEDEV doesn't know
how to create it yet, so use mknod.

You will find this message useful:

http://www.egroups.com/message/usb-bsd/973

I don't have a USB and -CURRENT box handy at the moment to test the
proposed changes to the umodem driver. I do have a Ricochet GS though,
just not the time to set up the equipment :-)

dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu     |  www.FreeBSD.org