Date:      Wed, 17 Jun 1998 11:47:06 +0200
From:      Johann Visagie <wjv@cityip.co.za>
To:        Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
Cc:        Malartre <malartre@aei.ca>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /root:"chmod 600 .*" nothing work now

On Tue, 16 Jun 1998 at 08:21 SAT, Dan Busarow wrote:

> I always try ls -l pattern before doing anything potentially dangerous
> that relyies on shell expansion.  Knowing for certain what the expansion
> will be can be comforting when issuing an rm -r :)

I went back to look at Unix Power Tools, where I remember seeing the caveat
about two character dotfiles.  I found this little script in there.  Cut it
out, call it (say) "del", and put it somewhere in your $PATH.  I think it's
quite cute.  ;-)

#!/bin/sh

case $# in
0)      echo "`basename $0`: you didn't say which file(s) to delete"; exit 1;;
[123])  /bin/rm -i "$@" ;;
*)      echo "$*"
        echo do you want to delete these files\?
        read a
        case "$a" in
        [yY]*)  /bin/rm "$@" ;;
        esac