Date:      Thu, 03 Oct 1996 21:58:34 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@spinner.dialix.com>
To:        dyson@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Scheduling and idle loops.. (Was Re: cvs commit: sys/kern . .

"John S. Dyson" wrote:

> > This is equal top of my "todo" list.  I think we'll get the tlb
> > invalidation going next though, since it's a showstopper.
> >
> If you need help, I intend to come up with an ifdef'ed version
> of pmap that removes the 1 page invalidations.  This will mean that
> all you have to do is to communicate the tlbflush (invltlb) operation.
>
> Will that help?

Probably not necessary at this stage..  For the first round, we'll try for
an "either call invalidates everything" approach, then try and optimise it
a bit. :-)

We can do message passing if it's worth it, ie: store the address in a
specific location, then have the target cpu invalidate based on that
address.  But I suspect the cost of an apic IPI transaction is far higher
than the potential savings so it may not be worth the effort.  We'd
probably better worry about the basics first..  (we've gotta do an EOI
somehow, I need to check the docs)

> John

Cheers,
-Peter