Date:      Wed, 24 Mar 1999 10:30:53 +0100 (CET)
From:      Konrad Heuer <kheuer@gwdu60.gwdg.de>
To:        Greg Black <gjb@comkey.com.au>
Cc:        "Scott I. Remick" <scott@computeralt.com>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Out of Swap Space hangs system

On Wed, 24 Mar 1999, Greg Black wrote:

> > > Is it normal for running out of swap space to hang the system?
> >=20
> > Unfortunately, yes.
>=20
> Right, so far.
>=20
> > It should not be, especially for a server OS.
>=20
> By all means provide an algorithm to solve it, if it concerns
> you.  I think you'll find it's non-trivial.

You're right, no doubt; it's not trivial. And the problem will not prevent
me from using and recommending FreeBSD.

> It's not a serious problem -- a properly setup Unix system will never
> crash from lack of swap.  I've been running Unix machines for the best
> part of 20 years and never seen a panic from lack of swap.  Some of
> those machines had 0.5 MB of RAM and a single 50 MB disk, supported
> several users in a commercial environment and only ever fell over when
> somebody yanked the power cord.

None of my FreeBSD systems crashed because of lack of swap in normal
operation mode. But in principle it's easy to crash them as an
unprivileged user. Just write a piece of C code which allocates m MB of
memory, forks p times and writes to allocated memory in each process. Will
m times p fit into the total virtual memory? Maybe, if you set rigorous
per-process limits. But if you do, you might also prevent users from doing
reasonable tasks. Or have I overlooked something?

Regards

//
// Konrad Heuer                                  ____            ___  _____=
__=20
// Gesellschaft f=FCr wissenschaftliche           / __/______ ___ / _ )/ __=
/ _ \
//    Datenverarbeitung mbH G=D6ttingen          / _// __/ -_) -_) _  |\ \/=
 // /
// Am Fa=DFberg, D-37077 G=D6ttingen              /_/ /_/  \__/\__/____/___=
/____/=20
// Deutschland (Germany)                      ----- The Power to Serve ----=