Date:      Fri, 14 Feb 2003 09:29:31 -0800
From:      Nicholas Esborn <nick@netdot.net>
To:        Peter B <pb@ludd.luth.se>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bt878 & whitenoise (some observations..)

I've seen similar problems with my onboard CMI8738 recently.  I didn't
notice that it only happened on certain channels, but I didn't try that
experiment.  I ended up using an SB Live instead.

I read somewhere, some time ago, that there was a problem where the CMI
driver under FreeBSD wouldn't always initialize at the right clock rate.
The result was that sometimes you would get more/fewer samples than you'd
expect per unit of time, effectively changing the sampling rate.  I'll
try to find this again, I think it was on freebsd-multimedia.

I think that this would cause noise in ffmpeg, since as I recall, it will
truncate the audio data each frame if there's too much of it.  This is
done in order to maintain A/V sync.

I would be interested to know if channels 5, 6, and 10 *always* exhibit
the noise across multiple seperate recordings, or if it's intermittent.

-nick

--
Nicholas Esborn
Unix Systems Administrator