Date:      Wed, 6 Sep 2000 09:01:32 +0400
From:      Igor Roboul <igor@raduga.dyndns.org>
To:        "'FreeBSD Questions (E-mail)'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: How to Tell FBSD to Use Proxy Server

On Tue, Sep 05, 2000 at 03:36:03PM -0700, Tomlinson, Drew wrote:
> I'm not sure I'm making sense but I want to start an ftp session on my
> FreeBSD box.  My FreeBSD box is only connected via LAN to my Win 2K machine.
> The Win 2K machine has an Internet connection and is running proxy server
> software (Wingate).  I want FreeBSD to connect to the Internet through the
> Win 2K machine.
Hello,
this is not so common :-) Normal way is to use FreeBSD as gate, but
there is so nice command by name 'man' (shor of manual)
Just say "man ftp" (without quotes on shell prompt)
Then search (hit /) for proxy
You'll find (near end of manual):

     ftp_proxy         URL of FTP proxy to use when making FTP URL requests
                       (if not defined, use the standard ftp protocol).

     http_proxy        URL of HTTP proxy to use when making HTTP URL requests.

To set environment variable use 'setenv ftp_proxy _something_' if your shell
is csh/tcsh or 'export ftp_proxy=_something_' if your shell is sh/bash/zsh etc.
Place these commands to your starup file (.login for csh or .profile for sh)

And, please, before asking something look into documentation. There is so
nice command 'man'.

Good luck.

--
Igor Roboul, Unix System Administrator & Programmer @ sanatorium "Raduga",