Date:      Fri, 30 Jul 1999 17:11:31 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   readdirplus is very cool, any other nfs client suggestions?

	Spent quite a bit of time today playing around with the newly
repaired readdirplus option for nfs clients in -current. My thanks to Matt
Dillon and Bill Paul. For those that don't remember, I'm trying to use
amd/nfs client stuff on some freebsd web servers that read their data from
our sun (and now sun + netapp) web farm. I have a script that used to lock
up amd and/or nfs and/or the whole machine pretty regularly. I've run it
about 100 times today in various conditions with no ill effects. About
this I am quite pleased. :)

	Since I'm new to nfs, and wasn't aware of the readdirplus option,
it dawns on me that there might be other cool things I'm not using that
also might be a benefit. I'm using amd for now, although this might be
replaced with plain old hard mounts at some time in the near future. The
following options I've cobbled together from advice on the lists, my
reading of the man pages and other documentation, and a lot of
experimentation. Any comments or suggestions for improvements would be
welcome.

Thanks,

Doug

amd.conf:

[ global ]
map_type =               file
search_path =            /etc
auto_dir =               /usr/amd/realmounts
normalize_hostnames =   yes
plock =                 yes
selectors_on_default =   yes

[ /usr/amd/Interfaces ]
map_name =              amd.Interfaces

amd.Interfaces:

/defaults       type:=nfs;opts:=rw,vers=3,readdirplus,intr,proto=udp

*               rhost:=IP${key};rfs:=/Space/${key}