Date:      Fri, 24 Oct 1997 02:40:19 +0000
From:      Jason Wells <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Are Kudos ok on this list?

Too bad. I am going to give some anyway. I am writing to this list instead
of chat because this is the list I subscribe to and also because the people
on this list who answer at least 10 or 15 emails per day deserve to hear this.

Kudos to everyone officially or voluntarily involved with the FreeBSD
project. Thanks to the core members especially.

I formerly worked under the naive assumption that all unices were as
comprehensible as FreeBSD. I have just started working with a commercial
unix. The hierarchy is bizzare. I would really like to know who thought an
executable should go in /var! :) The source is not available. In fact
/usr/src (or the like) does not exist on the tree or the system CD. I found
out today that we had to pay extra for the freakin NFS. You get the OS the
way the company wants you to get it and tough luck if you don't like it. I
guess FreeBSD has spoiled me.

FreeBSD was cool when I first started using it a year ago. When I first
started my impression of the OS was "neato". I thought to myself, "A real
unix system has to be _something else_ if this cute little free OS is so
neat." Well... the real unix system that I have to use is "something else"
but decorum dictates that I not speak it. I should not have let the "Free"
in FreeBSD fool me. This OS is the real deal.

This list is the best tech support anyone could hope for. The people here
are here because they want to be. I know they must really care. Why else
would someone do this for free? I have always been able to get good answers
from this list (along with a couple nice tries from newer users :) ). In
the world of tech support, free is rare. Accurate and free is incredible.
My company would have had to pay to get support from our OS vendor. As it
was they still had to pay me to sit there and sift through a pile of files
to figure something out. (I am just good enough on a system to figure most
everything out given enough time.)

Free software is the best kept secret in professional computing circles it
seems. It seems to me that free software is better because it is not
encumbered by all of the trappings of the commercial universe. While other
software vendors are fighting piracy or antitrust suits, FreeBSD is kicking
out release after release of great enterprise ready software.

Though I am know where near as knowledgable or experienced as some people
on this list, I have decided to become a FreeBSD crusader. Any time I get a
chance to give my input on a server problem I am going proclaim FreeBSD as
the solution.

Thank you for a great product and a great community.

Your admiring egghead,
Jason C. Wells
 __   __
/ 0\ / 0\         Thank you * Highperformance.net
     )     Wannabe Sysadmin * The homeless domain
)-------(       Jason Wells * "Pardon me sir, spare some bandwidth?"
 \_____/