Date:      Thu, 29 Jun 2000 11:40:45 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        Shawn Barnhart <swb@grasslake.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, steinyv <steinyv@skyweb.net>
Subject:   Re: RJ45

On Thu, 29 Jun 2000, Shawn Barnhart wrote:

> [...]

This is the most common.  Anyone doing any new wiring needs to use
this color scheme.  If you have pre-existing wiring using 568A, you
need to stick with that since being consistent is more important than
using the most common.  If you are using either 100MBit or 1000MBit
Ethernet, you MUST use one of these color schemes.  Simply making up
your own will not work.  Each pair in the wire is twisted at a
different rate to reduce crosstalk, so it DOES matter which pairs you
use for what purpose.

> Bandwidth-wasting trivia questions:
>
> What purpose does the thousands (millions?) of miles of basically
> unused copper connecting pins 4, 5, 7 & 8 in CAT-5 cables
> throughout the world serve? Does it provide extra mojo for the
> signal?  IEEE has stock options in the copper mining industry?
> Overly optimistic gigabit upgrade planning? The Cat-5 standard was
> the closest thing to carrying a 100Mhz signal on four wires and
> the others were just part of the cabling spec unrelated to the
> 100baseT ethernet spec?

Because it is not Ethernet specific.  You install this wiring as a
part of a structured wiring system which can be used for just about
any low-voltage system, including telephones, alarm systems, motor
control, Token Ring, CDDI, Ethernet, etc. etc. etc...  Using
high-quality cable for everything is a good thing, since you never
know when you might reuse a cable for something else.  Those who were
only doing 10MBit and installed CAT5 certified cable even though they
only needed CAT3 were the smart ones, since they could later upgrade
to 100MBit and now Gigabit over the same cable plant (well,
sometimes... Gigabit is truly picky and your CAT5 installation has to
be near perfect).

> We actually have some 10m drop cables with "CAT 5" printed on the
> jacketing but only four wires -- I even sacrificed one to science
> and found no unused pairs in the jacket -- I've never seen any
> others, and these carry 100FDX without complaints.

CAT5 doesn't specify how many wires need to be inside a particular
jacket.  It specifies only the electrical characteristics of the
cable.  The most common is four-pair, but two-pair works fine for all
Ethernet except for 100Base-T4 and Gigabit.

-- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
   FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet.
   For Intel x86 and Alpha architectures. ( http://www.freebsd.org )