Date:      Sun, 12 Jul 2009 17:09:24 -0600
From:      Ray <ray@stilltech.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   activate apache mod_rewrite

Hello,
I'm running FreeBSD  7.0-RELEASE-p3, amd64
I have never used mod rewrite before, but I am about to be hosting a php
website that does use it and I can't figure out how to turn it on.
The website was working properly under other hosting.

The server has been working properly for over a year with other php websites.
I installed apache 2.2 along with php 5.2 from ports.

google says that the following lines should appear in  httpd.conf

LoadModule rewrite_module     libexec/apache/mod_rewrite.so
AddModule mod_rewrite.c

first line does appear, slightly modified
LoadModule rewrite_module libexec/apache22/mod_rewrite.so

when I try to add the second line, apache won't start.

mod_rewrite.so is in the location specified.

at the moment I'm guessing I am missing something in httpd-vhosts.conf, but I
haven't found a guide for this yet.

Any suggestions, manual sections, links appreciated.
Ray