Date:      Wed, 14 Jul 1999 22:00:30 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Bacon <crtb@capecod.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        crtb@capecod.net
Subject:   3Com 3C900B-TPO not recognized

Just built FreeBSD 3.2R from CDROM, mainly so I can get online with
a 3Com 3C900B-TPO "Etherlink XL" card.  Kernel config includes
"controller pci0" and "device xl0".

When pci probe reports the VGA and SCSI cards, it fails to notice the
card.  No mention of "xl0: not found", just no mention at all.

The instructions in the 3C900B box said the (Windows) driver had to be
installed before the card is inserted.  However, in a FreeBSD environment,
no help.  How could the preexistence of a driver without the hardware be
any help here?

If desired, I can produce dmesg and config.  Just hope maybe somebody
can make me go "Duh!" about something obvious.

	Chuck Bacon - crtb@capecod.net
	    "Bouncy ball is the source of all goodness and light"
					-- Winner'qus Fortune