Date:      Wed, 25 Nov 1998 11:54:24 +0300
From:      Anand Buddhdev <arb@anand.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   help: ccd and mirroring

I've tried desperately to understand CCD for disk mirroring, but now i'm
stuck:

The system is FreeBSD-2.2.5 release, with 2 identical 4 GB IDE disks on
disk controller wdc0. I installed the OS on the first disk wd0. The
partitions are:

50 MB /
64 MB swap
3998 MB /usr

I initially tried to use vinum, but it fails to compile with the error:

"Don't know how to make statetexts.h". I really need to get this working,
so I've put vinum aside for now.

I have:

1. Recompiled a kernel with CCD support
	pseudo-device ccd 4

2. cd /dev; ./MAKEDEV ccd0

3. Formatted the second disk wd1, and dedicated the entire disk for
FreeBSD. I created partitions on it identical to wd0.

4. Now I want to enable the mirroring, but this is where I'm stuck. what I
have tried to do in single-user mode is:

1. Create a /etc/ccd.conf file

ccd0	16	CCDF_MIRROR,CCDF_UNIFORM	/dev/wd0 /dev/wd1

2. Tried to run ccdconfig -C. This runs, and does not give and errors. So
then I try to mount the ccd0

mount /dev/ccd0 /mnt

This fails with an error message: "Bad superblock".

I don't understand now what is happening here. I would really appreciate
some help on this, since I need to get this system going ASAP. It is
running on its single disk for now, but the mirroring is essential.

TIA.

--
Anand