Date:      Fri, 2 Aug 1996 23:44:32 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        "k.k phang" <kkphang@pc.jaring.my>, "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ARP PROXY

> I wasn't aware of a ARP_PROXYALL option.  The SLIP driver may need to be
> set up to handle Proxy ARP.  I haven't set this up so I wouldn't know.

I'm not sure what it does either.  However, I'm using SLIP and proxy-ARP
with no problems right now.

Here is /etc/sliphome/slip.login:
#!/bin/sh -
#
#       @(#)slip.login  5.1 (Berkeley) 7/1/90
#
# generic login file for a slip line.  sliplogin invokes this with
# the parameters:
#      1        2         3        4          5         6     7-n
#   slipunit ttyspeed loginname local-addr remote-addr mask opt-args
#
# Delete any arp table entries for this site
# /usr/sbin/arp -d $5
# Bringup the line
/sbin/ifconfig sl$1 inet $4 $5 netmask $6
# Answer ARP request for the SLIP client with our Ethernet addr
/usr/sbin/arp -s $5 00:00:c0:50:b9:0a pub
exit

XXX - you'll need to use the ethernet address of your SLIP server in
place of the ethernet address of *MY* SLIP server. :)

/etc/sliphome/slip.logout:
#!/bin/sh -
#
#       slip.logout

#
# logout file for a slip line.  sliplogin invokes this with
# the parameters:
#      1        2         3        4          5         6     7-n
#   slipunit ttyspeed loginname local-addr remote-addr mask opt-args
#
/sbin/ifconfig sl$1 delete
# Remove the ARP table entry for the host
/usr/sbin/arp -d $5
exit

I'm explicity doing the ARP, which iijppp and pppd do automatically, but
the results are the same.

I just looked and these additions need to be added to our system, so I
just committed them.

Nate