Date:      Thu, 19 Sep 1996 23:14:11 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        APRIM@mv3900.svl.photronics.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installation Errors

On Tue, 17 Sep 1996 APRIM@mv3900.svl.photronics.com wrote:

> My name is Aprim and recently started taking UNIX class.
> As my instuctor recommended I purchased FREEBSD CDs to have'm
> installed in my 486-33MHz computer. Today is the forth week that I
> have been trying.  I also been calling Tech Support more than 15
> times, asking them questions.  Anyway, David from Tech Support gave me
> your E-mail address so I can briefly mail all the installation
> problems I have.  Here they are:

Dave should have forwarded you to us earlier and saved you some long
distance bills!  :-)

> I went through changing my hardware so CDROM can be recognize by
> FreeBSD which couldn't at beginning.  I had 1 DOS Partition (1.6 GB
> H.D) which had to delete it so I can make another Partition for
> FreeBSD (made 300MB).  To make it short, for two weeks tried to use
> installation from CDROM using Tech Support help finally I quit on that
> and decided to do it Using DOS Partition.

OK.  You probably have an ATAPI/IDE interfaced CDROM, which FreeBSD is
very particular about.  It would be better to try to get this working, but
we can stick with the DOS partition install for the moment.

> I made the directory FreeBSD under C: and copied /BIN files.
> I also later on copied /FLOPPIES files per Tech Support.
> Booted up to FreeBSD installation menu, in FDISK Partitioning deleted
> Extended Partition and created FreeBSD, used A (AUTO) in labeling,
> selected "Wd0s1" (DOS Partition) and proceeded by selecting install
> from DOS Partition.

Check.

> It began doing some stuff and than came up with following error
> messages:

whoops, somehow they disappeared.  Pine must not of liked them.

One of the errors was 'no inodes free'.  My guess is that you are
attempting to install over a previous failed install.  This will not work.
Use DOS FDISK and delete the FreeBSD slice, then try it again.  Install
gets confused if parts of the OS are on the disk and you try to install
over it.