Date:      Mon, 23 Mar 2015 18:29:19 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Wehle <john@feith.com>
To:        br@bsdpad.com
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Updated Amlogic aml8726-m6 and aml8726-m8 support files

> As I remember netbsd driver was wrotten for older version of dwc implemented
> in allwinners.

That's interesting.

> Is Amlogic version is also old ?

I have no idea.  What I know about the Amlogic hardware is simply what I see
in the Linux source code for the Amlogic ethernet driver and the fact that
I'm told the NetBSD driver for Allwinner has also been successfully used
for the Amlogic.

>As you said before it works,

Works is perhaps a bit strong with regards to using the FreeBSD dwc driver
with the Amlogic SoC.

As I recall transmitting packets seemed to work without issue once I changed
the code to set some flags in DES1 instead of DES0.

However, receiving was a bit iffy ... sometimes it worked, other times it
didn't.  I was still in the process of trying to track down that problem.

> that means version is not too old,

Do you happen to have any documentation regarding the differences between
the various versions of the DWC silicon?

Also ... is the Altera silicon capable of running in a mode compatible
with the older DWC silicon?

> and better idea here is to implement missing bits for our dwc(4)

The problem is determining on the receive side what bits are missing.

I'm happy to work towards folding the necessary changes into dwc(4), once
we know what they are.

-- John