Date:      Sat, 6 Apr 1996 19:43:37 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        dima@irs.riga.lv
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Q on kernel

Dmitry Solodov stands accused of saying:

> how to enable logging of in/out IP packets in the kernel ?
>
> We want FreeBSD code on our router to write a log of all in/out
> packets.

Not to be rude, but you must be _nuts_.  Think about it for a second;
how many packets do you handle?  Consider a small router with a
14.4KBps modem; on a PPP link with an MTU of ~500 bytes, you can move
about three packets a second.  If you log the time, type , source and
destination of the packet, you get a log entry of about 100 bytes.
At 300 bytes per second, your log will grow at about a megabyte
an hour.

If you want something fairly simple, look at the 'ipacct'
code in the FreeBSD kernel. (Start with 'man ipacct').

For the opposite end of the scale, look at 'tcpdump'.
Somewhere in the middle is the (unfinished) 'cantipole' tool;
if neither of these two do what you want, and you are willing
to hack on some fairly primitive code, then you're welcome to
a copy of it.