Date:      Sun, 15 Sep 2002 17:14:50 +0200
From:      Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@bellavista.cz>
To:        Frank Heitmann <fh31415@gmx.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Starting programs in X

# fh31415@gmx.net / 2002-09-15 16:16:38 +0200:
> Hello everybody!
>
> When I start 'emacs' in an xterm window it automatically
> opens a new window. I would like this behaviour also for
> other programs (slrn and mutt for example).

    i don't use emacs (vim person), but i believe it behaves differently
    depending on whether it detects an X environment or not.
    slrn and mutt are ncurses/slang applications, and as such just don't
    have the capability you're looking for.
    (i might be wrong with slrn, i don't read newsgroups)

> At this time I do: "xterm -geometry 100x50 -e slrn &",
> but I would like to enter just slrn (like I have just to
> enter emacs) and  I would also like to read the geometry
> setting from .Xresources (like emacs does).
>
> I could create a small script with just the above line in
> it to start slrn, but I believe there is another way to do
> this - one I do not know yet :)

    i don't see another possibility besides a shell alias; i don't
    cosider that a valid option as it's shell dependant by nature.
    plus, a shell script *could* use your .Xresources file, but you'd
    prolly have to write a parser. it would be pretty easy, though.

--
begin 666 nonexistent.vbs
FreeBSD 4.6-STABLE