Date:      Sun, 27 Jan 2002 00:30:04 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
To:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@village.org>
Cc:        nate@yogotech.com, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Firewall config non-intuitiveness

> You still haven't responded to my comment that I have it setup like
> this on some of my boxes so that I can do things that don't fit in
> well with the current firewall paradigm.  Nor to my comment that we
> shouldn't be changing a security feature in a fail*UN*safe way.

Explain to me how disabling the firewall with 'FIREWALL_ENABLE=NO' can
be unsafe?

Can you show me *ANY* system that uses a closed down firewall that also
has FIREWALL_ENABLE=NO?  That would be the only 'safe->unsafe'
transition, since otherwise the default firewall setup is wide-open.

> I'll grant that I might be in the minority here, but I sure don't want
> my the ability to use my firewall going away after my "next"
> mergemaster change because you were helpful and unloaded/disabled
> stuff for me.

Fixing something that's broken is still fixing something.  If you don't
want a firewall, then why have it activated and enabled?  (This is a
rhetorical question.)

Nate