Date:      Mon, 29 Nov 1999 12:16:06 +0100
From:      Kai Voigt <k@123.org>
To:        John Rochester <john.rochester@enetgroup.co.uk>
Cc:        Kai Voigt <k@123.org>, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: finger(1) not RFC compliant

John Rochester wrote:
> On 28-Nov-99 Kai Voigt wrote:
> > When entering "finger user@remotehost", finger has to send
> > "/W user\r\n" to the remotehost.  Instead, it sends "user\r\n" without
> > the leading "/W ".
> >
> > In chapter 2.3, RFC 1288 defines a non recursive finger query as
> >
> > {Q1} ::= [ {W} | {W} {S} {U} ] {C}
>
> I am sure this is a typo in the RFC.  If you look at the meaning of "/W", it
> does not make sense for it to be optional for the Q2 (recursive) query, but
> not optional for Q1.  BSD finger properly only adds the /W when finger -l
> is used.

Yes, I assume the same.  Common sense tells me to have

where {S} can be any number of spaces.  The RFC requires at least one
space.  I have checked out Solaris' and Linux' behaviour, and they have
implemented it the same way.

With the syntax above, the RFC specification is still accepted.  Maybe
the RFC should be updated :)

Kai
--
kai voigt                                               hamburger chaussee 36
                                                                   24113 kiel