Date:      Mon, 8 Nov 2004 12:40:57 -0700
From:      "Butterworth, Thaddaeus (Manpower Contract)" <thad.butterworth@hp.com>
To:        <TM4526@aol.com>, <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: difference between releases

Message: 18

Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 12:47:30 EST

From: TM4526@aol.com

To: questions@freebsd.org

=20

In a message dated 11/8/04 11:54:37 AM Eastern Standard Time,=20

>>jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu writes:

>> on the "release", which should be a known, completed code base.

>=20

>> All part of the experience  I suppose.

=20

>>The whole world is in beta.   Get over it.

>Only the open-source world.=20

=20

>I notice the same 3 losers answering over and over. Maybe its

>YOU that should get over me, since everything I say seems to=20

>irritate you.

=20

=20

To be fair, most of us just try to ignore you since you have not once
contributed anything helpful or productive to this list. People would
not get so upset if at least every once in a while you would offer some
helpful comments. The constant carping on every question you respond to
begins to wear on those of us who would really just like to learn more
about how to better administrate our systems. We've chosen BSD, we like
it, and we're not going back to the nether regions of MS. If you're
unhappy with open-source, why not focus on Windows products and leave
the rest of us alone. You're not going to find any converts here.

=20

As far as open-open source being the only one in beta, I work in
development where our code is closed-source. Even we have to admit that
our releases fit better into the category of BETA than RELEASE. The
whole world of computers and programming is very new and most everyone
of any real intelligence realizes that we all have a lot more to learn.
The issue I have with closed-source systems is that when I spot a
problem I can't do anything to fix it. Usually that means waiting for
one of Microsoft's untold millions of patches and hope that it doesn't
blow my system out of the water like so many of the Service Packs have
done. That is why I like so much of what open-source is doing. We admit
that we're not perfect and we don't know it all, but we will sure work
to find the solution when a problem arises.=20

=20

As a final note, I have seen you talk about how much you know. How about
proving it? Why not offer some real help to some of the questions posed
on this list? Until then I can only assume that you're either Darl
McBride or Bill Gates in disguise. I just haven't figured out which one
yet.

=20

=20

Thad