Date:      Wed, 28 Apr 1999 11:46:18 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Sphygmos <eweiss@wamnet.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Philips Omniwriter CDr PLEASE HELP!!!

Please wrap your lines and don't send HTML-ized mail as default. Thanks.

On Tue, 27 Apr 1999, Sphygmos wrote:

>     I am running a Pentium 233 machine with 64 megs of ram and 2
> 4.5gig SCSI drives and a Philips Omniwriter 26A 2x/8x External CD-RW
> on an Adaptec 1542C SCSI controller. I am using FreeBSD release 2.2.8.

OK.

>     I am having no luck whatsoever getting my cdr to write. I can use
> it as a CDRom just fine. I use device cd0c and mount it using
> mount_cd9660 and it works perfectly. However, I can't for the life of
> me get it to write CDs. What happens when I try using CDRecord 1.6.1
> is it ALWAYS says "SCSI Device not configured".

1)  Try cdrecord 1.8.  The current cdrecord port builds it.
2)  The web page you cited instructs you to symlink /dev/rworm0.ctl to
    /dev/rcd0.ctl.  Did you do this?

> I have no idea how to get past this. I couldn't figure out how to use
> a worm or rcd device either. I did happen to find a web page that had
> a lot of information about writing CDs with cdrecord on freebsd and
> even mentioned my exact CDr... but i could not get it to work
> following his directions.

Did you check the master cdrecord page to see if your writer is supported?
If it works, everything else is standardized.

Doug White