Date:      Thu, 27 Nov 1997 22:20:44 GMT
From:      mouth@ibm.net (John Kelly)
To:        "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Porn SPAM

On Thu, 27 Nov 1997 12:50:22 -0800 (PST), "Jonathan M. Bresler"
<jmb@FreeBSD.ORG> wrote:

>> Is there no way to keep this unwanted mail from "candicepante" and
>> other porn spammers off the FreeBSD lists?
>
>	100% sucess rate?  yes, we need a list moderator.
>	that means a call for volunteers who are willing to read
>	all the mail and approve everything but spam.

Livingston (the Portmaster people) changed their mailing list rules to
stop spam  -- you cannot post from any email address which is not
subscribed to the list.   Livingston made exceptions and set up some
type of alias list for those in special situations.  I don't know how,
but they are able to do it.

That's much easier to administer than getting volunteers who read all
the mail.  Then I would worry about censorship.  What if the moderator
doesn't like my opinions or style of expression, or if I insult one of
his buddies?  I may not always be popular.

John