Date:      Mon, 12 Nov 2001 11:47:08 +0100 (CET)
From:      Marcin Gryszkalis <dagoon@math.uni.lodz.pl>
To:        David O'Brien <obrien@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        wilko@FreeBSD.org, freebsd alpha mailiing list <freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: alpha/22759: zip cannot work with existing .zip archives

On Yesterday David O'Brien wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 11, 2001 at 11:59:42PM +0100, Marcin Gryszkalis wrote:
> > dagoon@ldah:~,0> zip x x.sh
> >   adding: x.sh (deflated 4%)
> > dagoon@ldah:~,0> zip x y
> >         zip warning: missing end signature--probably not a zip file (did
> > 		you
> > 		zip warning: remember to use binary mode when you transferred
> > 		it?)
>
> WHY are you NOT providing the file you are compressing for reference?
> Did you not think that maybe there is a bug in Zip that is sensative to
> the input?  You did not say that you have a problem with every file
> you've tried.  So we are left having to guess if maybe Zip isn't tripping
> on something in the input, vs. normal processing (ie, 64-bit issue).

Ok, I'l try to be more specific:
 - there are no problems with files uploaded, archives can be modified
   etc.
 - the problem is when I create archive and then try to update it
 - File type doesn't matter (I think)
 - File size *matters* (I realized that 2 minutes ago):
	I created archive containing another (big) archive and html file and can
   see something like that (note: that archive *can* be modified)

dagoon@ldah:~,0> zip -T x
test of x.zip OK
dagoon@ldah:~,0> zip -lv x
zip info: local extra (21 bytes) != central extra (13 bytes): ewel_h7.zip
zip info: local extra (21 bytes) != central extra (13 bytes): xxx.html
zip error: Nothing to do! (x.zip)

 - looks like it works better (the way above) when the *first* file
   archived is large (I don't know what's the limit)

I will do more checks later today.
greetings
marcin
--