Date:      Fri, 19 Aug 2005 22:00:16 +1000
From:      Dean Hamstead <dean@bong.com.au>
To:        Uzi <uzi@bmby.com>
Cc:        freebsd-database@freebsd.org, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD hardware solution for a database server

you may need to look at specifically what sort of
queries are taxing the system

lots of queries or long queries
this will vary your final decision considerably.

other options you might consider are....
- breaking up your database across several servers
    - seperate databases completely (good for mainly write stuff)
    - !!! replicate and load share (really good for ro stuff) !!!
- getting in and really checking that indexes are well designed
    (indexes can change long taxing queries into childs play)
- putting databases (or even tables) on different physical disks
- optimising queries where possible
    - make the queries match indexes better
    - make smaller queries and then get more cpus.

im not sure what these servers are like, im a dell man but its
all just hardware. obviously faster cpu, more ram, 15k scsi disks
and if raid 1+0 or 5 is faster may depend on the controller
how many channels etc. the driver and card performance might
even be worth looking into.

if your really dying for performace, go back to the ports tree
and try compiling for better performance. ie mysql can compile
static for (what it claims) better performance, and  there is
one other option that eludes me. im not sure if linuxthreads
is faster than native threads

you may also find mysql5 to be faster than 41 (assuming mysql)

Dean