Date:      Fri, 21 May 1999 21:35:48 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        ragnar@sysabend.org (Jamie Bowden)
Cc:        eivind@FreeBSD.ORG, dkelly@hiwaay.net, scrappy@hub.org, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SGI, XFS and OSS?

> XFS on an indy R4600/133mhz with ultra-narrow drives on a scsi2-fast
> controller did better than my K6/233mhz with AHA-2940UW with UW drives for
> large directory reads and writes.

This is not a useful comparison.

I believe the MIPS box has a faster and wider memory bus.  Since what
you are measuring is I/O, not computation speed, the speed of your
processor is irrelevent, so long as it is as fast or faster than
your bus.

Even with a 32 bit PCI controller, the PCI burst transmission rate
over a 33MHz I/O bus is going to be your gating factor.

People who think that all machines are as I/O limited as PC's, and
that you can compare based on processor speed have bought into The
Big PC Vendor Lie; I think that a MicroVAX II with a QBUS is likely
to be able to put your 233MHz machine to shame for some operations,
and uVAXen run at what, 16MHz?

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---