Date:      Wed, 20 Sep 2000 13:37:04 -0500
From:      Adrian Gonzalez <adrianbsd@globalpc.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Using 'private net' IPs for WAN Addresses

Hello everyone

Over the years I've seen several ISPs use 192.168.x.x or other of the IP
ranges reserved for private networks as WAN adressess for point-to-point
links on the Internet.

Personally, I've always felt this to be a bad idea, but I can't come up
with a compelling reason to convince people not to do it.  Is there a
reason not to?  or is it just a matter of keeping apples and oranges in
their respective baskets?

The only thing I can come up with is that you can ping the routers in
question from outside your own net if you use 'real' IPs.

-Adrian