Date:      Thu, 7 Apr 2016 10:32:44 -0700
From:      Chuck Tuffli <chuck@tuffli.net>
To:        Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-pkg@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: teach pkg about rpm's?

On Wed, Apr 6, 2016 at 11:36 PM, Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@freebsd.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 03, 2016 at 06:17:16AM -0700, Chuck Tuffli wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> Has adding the ability to install RPM's via pkg been discussed before?
>> Does it make sense to add this or is it better to leave this
>> functionality to something like archivers/rpm4? If so, I have some
>> time and the motivation to implement this and would appreciate any
>> guidance / pointers that people would be willing to share.
>>

> It has been discussed, there was even some summer of code about it.
>
> It is a feature we would like to see in (but specially crafter) as it would
> allow to remove most of the linux ports from the ports tree and we could tell
> the users to simply add a special linux.conf repoconfiguration pointing to a yum
> repository to handle the /compat

Can you elaborate on how you'd like to see this work or point me to a
write up? From what I've found, there were two GSoC approaches:
convert Linux RPM/DEBs to the pkg format or, more recently, directly
supporting the DEB format. If the latter is the preferred approach,
does libarchive need to be taught about the various Linux package
layouts?

--chuck