Date:      Tue, 13 Jul 1999 06:58:01 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@ns.sol.net>
To:        robert@cyrus.watson.org (Robert Watson)
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 3.x backdoor rootshell security hole

> On Mon, 12 Jul 1999, Doug Rabson wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 12 Jul 1999, Robert Watson wrote:
> > > In fact, if you have permission to modify the running kernel, you may have
> > > more privilege than that of a root process, with securelevels.. :-)  What
> > > the THC posting is really about it hiding compromises on a machine that
> > > has been compromised, and leaving backdoors.  The title, "Attacking
> > > FreeBSD..." is a little misleading, it's more about "Trojaning FreeBSD
> > > Once You Already Have Absolute Control of a Machine".  And these aren't
> > > even very persistent: they have to be reloaded after each boot, meaning
> > > changes to configuration files, etc, etc.
> >
> > Also if a site is running using securelevel, even root can't load files
> > into the running kernel. The attacker would have to arrange to load the
> > code during startup and reboot the box (a noticable event surely).
> >
> > Hmm. Shouldn't we protect the contents of /boot with the schg flag?
>
> Ideally some of the directories themselves, as well as /boot, parts of
> /etc large parts of /sbin and /bin (including sh, as that gets run in
> single-user mode)...  My feeling is we should maintain a list, but not
> ship that way as it would be irritating for most of the world.  At one
> point I had a script that did some of the work, but currently due to file
> layout and the way we do config files, you end up with a fairly hobbled
> machine.  Which is, of course, the idea. :-)  I think security(8) (?)
> discusses a fair amount of this stuff.

All of /sbin and /bin.  These should never change.

I did post a sample file protection script to -security a few months back.
It also removed suid/sgid privilege on things that are not likely to be
used (modifiable, of course, it basically just lists all suid/sgid progs).
I believe that it will harden base filesystems on a FreeBSD box to the
point of almost being annoying.  Requires securelevel of course.

... Joe