Date:      Thu, 8 Aug 1996 00:25:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        JOAO HENRIQUE BERGAMASCO <jhbergamasco@netco.com.br>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sales ...

On Thu, 8 Aug 1996, JOAO HENRIQUE BERGAMASCO wrote:

> Hi,
>=20
> My company works with Intranet Solutions and I have been looking for a UN=
IX
> Operating System very cheaper for my customers.
>=20
> I found FreeBSD.
>=20
> Please, how can I get a comercial copy of FreeBSD ?

The FreeBSD that comes on the cdrom from Walnut Creek (or is=20
available by ftp) is full-strength, industrial quality; there's
no "commercial" version that has additional utilities or=20
capabilities.  All the utilities, capabilities, packages, and
programs are already included.  As an Internet Service Provider,
you would probably want to install some programs (e.g., perhaps
inn, the news server) that your customers would not care about;
and you might want to install several different user mail
packages, so that your customers with shell accounts would have
a choice of mail programs to use.  But all these programs are
available on (or from) the same cdrom (or ftp download). =20

There are some commercial programs, such as Netscape's Commerce
Server, that run on FreeBSD that you would have to purchase (as
does everyone else).  But there's also apache, a web server with
considerable capabilities, that is part of the FreeBSD distribution.
With apache you could provide your shell account customers with=20
the capability of putting up their own web pages.

It is often surprising to people that a complete implementation
of "Berkeley Unix" for Intel-based pc's, with considerable enhancements,
is available (with all the source code) for $39.95 (the price of
the cdrom from Walnut Creek).  But that's the case.

Technical support is provided through mailing lists such as this
one and Usenet groups; there is a mailing list for ISPs.  Although
this is all done on a volunteer basis, you have access through
these lists to experts around the world who are successfully doing
what you're trying to do or who are actually working on the code
itself. =20

=09=09=09=09Annelise Anderson
=09=09=09=09Senior Research Fellow
=09=09=09=09The Hoover Institution