Date:      Thu, 2 Nov 2000 12:54:23 +0100 (CET)
From:      Gerald Pfeifer <pfeifer@dbai.tuwien.ac.at>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>, "David O'Brien" <obrien@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: "Malloc type lacks magic" show-stopper solved

Cy Schubert wrote:
> Anything above -O is not recommended.  I've had problems with
> optimisation above -O under gcc on Intel (FreeBSD & Linux) ever since I
> converted from IBM mainframe to UNIX (religious experience).

I cannot recall any bug report on the GCC mailing lists.

David O'Brien wrote:
> Forgot to mention.  I'm considering removing the ability to do -O2 and
> -O3 from the system C compiler again.... people are just proving over
> and over how much they want to shoot their foot off.

Please don't. We are already seeing enough problems due to differences
between FSF GCC and FreeBSD's patched version. Please let's reduce those
differences, not introduce anything further.

Besides, -O2 and -O3 are perfectly legitimate options for user code, and
I really don't see why one shouldn't use the system compiler for that as
well but install another one.

Finally, I do agree about -O3, but -O2 *should* definitely work for the
kernel. If it does not, this is a bug, either in GCC or FreeBSD, and ought
to be tracked down and, in the former case, at least be reported to the
GCC folks.

Gerald