Date:      Mon, 10 Mar 1997 09:21:44 +0100 (MET)
From:      Wolfgang Helbig <helbig@MX.BA-Stuttgart.De>
To:        rsw@crl.com (Guy F. Boyd)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: atapi conflict in manuals

Hi,

> A brief question:
>
> In the publication " Installing And Running FreeBSD by Greg Lehey,
> ISBN 1-5716-139--x
>
> Installation Concepts:
> Page 26:
>
> "In order to install from an ATAPI CD-ROM, The drive must be jumpered as
> a slave device."
>
> On the Walnut Creek Distribution 2.1 CD,
>
> the text file "/floppies/readme.text":
>
> "If you're using an IDE CDROM, try atapi.flp instead of boot.flp.  This
> contains an ALPHA QUALITY ATAPI driver that may or may not work for you.
> Also make sure that your CDROM is jumpered as a "master" device, rather than
> the "slave" device that many come configured as."
>

> The alpha quality issues and caveats of the atapi driver are noted.
> I am , however, confused on the  apparent conflict of the master/ slave
> jumpering . Which should it be?

Probably both sources are wrong :-).
The only thing I can say is, I installed from 2.1 CD with atapi.flp.
HD was master and CD was slave on the primary IDE channel.
I had problems with using both IDE channels, i. e. HD master on primary
and CD master on secondary, as my IDE-chip (CMD640B) does not support
concurrent access to both channels.

> Currently , the CD ROM is ( apparently) configured as master, answering
> to the probe by the boot floppy at wdc0, and apparently happy.
>
> I would like to be a bit surer that this really means "no problem" before
> I install, given the above conflict.
>
> Response is appreciated.
>
> Guy F. Boyd
> rsw@crl.com