Date:      Tue, 23 Feb 1999 18:04:44 -0500 (EST)
From:      Fatal Darkness <fdarkness@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Apache SIGALRM

I'm not sure if this is an Apache problem or a FreeBSD problem, or a
combination thereof, so I'm posting here in hopes that someone might be able to
offer some advice.

I've installed Apache 1.3.4, which I've compiled from source, on a FreeBSD
2.2.8-RELEASE system.  The server is running from inetd and tcp_wrappers.  The
problem is, it will intermittantly terminate with a SIGALRM.

Bascially, the server will randomly, instead of sending the requested html to
the requesting browser, send a blank page with the words "Alarm clock."  It
will usually do this several times in a row, and then start working again, for
no apparent reason.  Looking through the Apache source this string appears to
be a SIGALRM:

http_main.c:    ap_sys_siglist[SIGALRM] = "Alarm clock";

My question, I suppose, is what causes a SIGALRM?  Has anyone ever seen this
before?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.