Date:      Mon, 17 Mar 2008 12:45:05 +1100
From:      Edwin Groothuis <edwin@mavetju.org>
To:        "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        freebsd-proliant@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Love to hate iLO ...

On Sun, Mar 16, 2008 at 10:28:17PM -0300, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> > Upgrade, upgrade, upgrade... (the firmware that is)
> >
> > Is this the normal ILO or ILO2?
>
> Normal, but how do I tell for certain?
>
> iLO Firmware Version:   1.82

That's the normal one.

> > Is the IP address of the ILO server a public address or a private
> > address? If a public, please firewall it away from the public
> > internet because that was you described happens when you fail your
> > authentication one too many times. On the normal ILO that is.
>
> It is a public IP, as these are remote hosts ... so, once this happens, a total
> power reset is required, I take it?

No, just give it a couple of minutes to recover. What happens is
that when the authentcation in SSH goes wrong, it will be unavailable
for a short time. Don't ask me why, don't ask me how. It happens,
see my email about this earlier this week: It shits me too.

Firewall that SSH port to allow only access from authorized sources,
that way you can prevent this from happening.

Edwin
--
Edwin Groothuis      |            Personal website: http://www.mavetju.org
edwin@mavetju.org    |              Weblog: http://www.mavetju.org/weblog/