Date:      Sun, 13 Aug 2000 23:25:39 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Johan Granlund <johan@granlund.nu>
To:        Hajimu UMEMOTO <ume@mahoroba.org>
Cc:        Kurt@OpenLDAP.org, gshapiro@FreeBSD.ORG, hetzels@westbend.net, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: sendmail updated from 8.9.3 to 8.11.0 in -current

On Mon, 14 Aug 2000, Hajimu UMEMOTO wrote:

> Kurt> At 01:49 PM 8/13/00 +0200, Johan Granlund wrote:
> >I think we have to support rfc2554 autenthication (With MECH LOGIN for
> >Outlook) out of the box if we are serius about mailserver and security.
>
> Kurt> If you're serious about security, you shouldn't support LOGIN (or PLAIN)
> Kurt> unless adequate privacy protections are in place.  If you're serious
> Kurt> about standards, you won't support LOGIN.
>
> I think so.
> Further worse, once PLAIN is activated by sendmail, netscape try to
> use AUTH, in anyway.  If the user isn't registered in SASL db, the
> user cannot send mail anymore.  That is, once you decide to use PLAIN,
> you must register all of your users in SASL db.

I agree that PLAIN/LOGIN should not be enabled by default as it is
inherently insecure and should not be encouraged. It can easyly be enabled
in a custom .mc file, if wanted, with
define(`confAUTH_MECHANISMS', `')dnl
define(`confTRUST_AUTH_MECH', `')dnl
The snag is that is has to be enabled in the build of the SASL library.
The same with KerberosIV and GSSAPI depending of what is installed.

N.B This is for 8.10. I havent looked if it has changed for 8.11.

If autentication is enabled with SASL, support should be added to
adduser/rmuser, or we will have a supportbomb when locally defined user
cant send mail remotely.