Date:      Mon, 7 Aug 2000 23:33:22 -0400
From:      "Sean O'Connell" <sean@stat.Duke.EDU>
To:        Steve Carter <scarter@pobox.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD mobile <freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 4.1 Installation

Steve Carter stated:
: Anyone got any pointers to laptop installation documentation for
: 4.1-RELEASE?  I have used PAO until now and I'd like to install 4.1 but
: really don't have a clue where to start.
:
: I tried the 4.1 installation disks but the install hangs hard at the point
: where the installation probes for devices.  The hardware I have is pretty
: typical, Thinkpad 600E w/ 3COM 574TX PCMCIA network adaptor plus a Xircom
: creditcard 56T modem.

Steve-

Classic case of irq conflict between the poor irq choice in
GENERIC (install) kernel for pcic and your hardware along with
sysinstall not giving enough options.  (I tried to send patches,
really, I did :).   The quick fix is to boot into the userconfig
kernel and change the irq 10 to irq 9 for the pcic and choose
irq 10 for your enet card.   Irq 11 is the pci shared interrupt
and neither the pcic nor any pccards should use this under 4.1-R.
Irq 3 is often free along with 9 and 10.

If you are not installing over ethernet (eg from cdrom), then I'd
recommend not having the pccards in the machine and just getting
enough of the system installed to be fucntional and then go back
and set up the pccard support.

Tips (my $0.02):

1) include

options PNPBIOS

--> helps with ISA sound cards (just use "device pcm" ... don't forget
    to "cd /dev; sh MAKEDEV snd0")
--> replace all "device sioN at blah" with a single "device sio" to
    pick up onboard serial ports and pccard modems

2) to save an irq, put the pcic in polling mode

device card
device pcic0 at isa?

otherwise set the irq to a known free one.

3) As for setting up the pccard.conf settings... create a custom
   pccard.conf (/etc/pccard.conf ... default is /etc/defaults/pccard.conf)
   and add

pccard_conf="/etc/pccard.conf"

   make sure that the irq line only has know free irq's listed (also
   be sure to remove any (lines like pccard_flags="-i N -i Q" from
   /etc/rc.conf or this will override the irq settings in /etc/pccard.conf

4) if you want to use apm features, change apm entry in kernel to

device apm0 at nexus?

   and add

apm_enable="YES"

   to /etc/rc.conf