Date:      Wed, 06 May 1998 08:34:17 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Help with Diamond FirePort 40 SCSI card

Does anyone have any experience of using a Diamond FirePort 40 SCSI card
under FreeBSD? In response to a post sometime ago about Symbios Logic
SCSI cards someone advised that Diamond cards are Symbos based. As
suppliers of Symbios cards to end-users here in the UK seem to be
non-existent the Diamond card would appear to be a good alternative.

However, I am _very_ reluctant to use any Diamond product under FreeBSD
as the Stealth graphics card I had when I first started using FreeBSD
could not be made to work at anything other than standard VGA. Diamond,
it seems, will only release programming info under a non-disclosure
agreement, so source couldn't be distributed on the FreeBSD CD. Their
Web site shows they only test these SCSI cards under 95 & NT so it
appears Diamond are still only interested in MS users.

If anyone has one of these cards working successfully under FreeBSD I'd
like to know.

BTW, I also have OS/2 on my PC and the Stealth graphics card took a lot
of effort to get working under that too, so if anybody knows if the
FirePort works under OS/2 I'd be interested in your comments.

TIA.

--
CNC Apps Engineer           | One of the main causes of the fall |