Date:      Mon, 08 May 2000 09:17:34 +0900
From:      Motoyuki Konno <motoyuki@bsdclub.org>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        Joe Karthauser <joe@pavilion.net>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, committers@FreeBSD.org, doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Japanse books (was navel contemplation)

Warner Losh <imp@village.org>wrote:
> In message <20000506170628.B20435@pavilion.net> Joe Karthauser writes:
> : I so wish that I could read/write Japanese.  It sounds like there's some
> : translation work that's required.

Can I (or Japanese doc team) add all of the FreeBSD books to the
"list of FreeBSD books" page (http://www.FreeBSD.org/publish.html) ?

There are following problems.

o  Each entry of "list of FreeBSD books" contains "book cover photo".
   So, we have to get the photo image from the publisher.

   If we can add a book the list without "book cover image", the work
   will become very easy.

o  I don't know the standard of the "list of FreeBSD books" page.
   FreeBSD-specific book will be OK.  But how about "FreeBSD and
   other BSD" or "FreeBSD and Linux" book?

o  The manpower of Japanese doc team.
   As so many English doc changes have been committed last year,
   Our work become very very hard.

o  There are so many FreeBSD books in Japan, can we really add all
   of them to the "list of FreeBSD books" ?  The list will become
   too long to read :-)

> If you have them in electronic form, you can generally get passing
> fair translations from honyaku
> (http://www.omronsoft.co.jp/SP/pcunix/honyaku/index.html)
> but you have to work at it.  It has been useful for my learning of
> Japanese, but also for following Japanese mailing lists.  Cost is
> about $100 (11,380 yen) plus shipping.

We are happy if English-native people will help our work.