Date:      Mon, 20 Dec 1999 16:43:43 -0500
From:      George Uhl <uhl@mamba-e.gsfc.nasa.gov>
To:        Jay Sachs <jsachs@iclick.com>
Cc:        Scott Michel <scottm@CS.UCLA.EDU>, freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, uhl@mamba-e.gsfc.nasa.gov
Subject:   Re: Yamaha DS-XG

If it's not too much of a hassle, I vote for the newpcm driver. It is
maddening to know which drivers work for which sound cardss anymore,
especially if you don't follow the list threads that closely.  I
have an old ESS 1868 sound card that works like crap in 3.3. It used
to work in 2.2.x.  I went out and bought a Yamaha DS-XG only to learn
that although it works great in NT there is no specs for a FBSD
driver.  I realize that there is so much proprietary info for sound
cards that writing FBSD drivers is non-trivial. It is frustrating
for outsiders like myself to stay on top of OSS soundcard development.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Thanks,
George Uhl