Date:      Tue, 17 Nov 1998 15:53:55 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        Bochter Security Systems <bocsecsys@iname.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NetWorking Cards

On Tue, 17 Nov 1998, Bochter Security Systems wrote:

>I just installed FreeBSD and I have a networking card without any junpers
>so how do I tell FreeBSD what the port address and the irq is. The card has
>a install program that run under DOS.
>
>I have a	D_Link Card
>			3Com Card
>
>And I thank you for any help on this. This is my first time using FreeBSD.

Welcome aboard.

I have a card similar to this.

Run the DOS program and configure the card as your needs dictate. Write
down the IRQ and port. You will need them later.

Then you need to build a new kernel. The kernel is the binary that runs
when the computer starts. These are the instructions:

http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/handbook50.html#123

In you kernel you will see a line that looks something like this. You must
know which device driver your card uses. My card (shown below) is an
NE2000 clone which uses the "ed0" driver on irq 10 and port 0x300.

device ed0 at isa? port 0x300 net irq 10 iomem 0xd8000 vector edintr

You need to change the appropriate line in your kernel config file for the
settings that you wrote down when setting up your card under DOS. Then
continue on with the kernel build procedure. Be careful not to mess with
other lines in the kernel config file until you know what you are doing.

Catchya Later,		|	UW Mechanical Engineering
Jason Wells		|	http://weber.u.washington.edu/~jcwells/