Date:      Thu, 10 Feb 2011 22:14:46 -0800
From:      milki <milki@rescomp.berkeley.edu>
To:        "Andreas J. Koenig" <andreas.koenig.7os6VVqR@franz.ak.mind.de>
Cc:        freebsd-perl@freebsd.org, cpan-discuss@perl.org
Subject:   Re: /modules/by-module not indexing new modules?

--fWddYNRDgTk9wQGZ

On 06:48 Fri 11 Feb     , Andreas J. Koenig wrote:
>=20
>   > Hi,
>   > As a FreeBSD port maintainer, its nice to have
>   > /modules/by-module/MODULE-VERSION.tar.gz available. However, recently=
>   > have discovered that the it hasn't been updated for the ones I'm
>   > interested in.
>=20
> Hear, hear. I did not expect that anybody was seriously using it.

Yes, it is the default method for a perl FreeBSD port to retrieve a
package. The alternative is to ../authors/id/, but the url root as at
/modules/by-module

>=20
>   > For example, DBIx-Class is at version 0.08127.
>   > ftp://ftp.cpan.org/pub/CPAN/modules/by-module/DBIx/ only contains up =
>   > 0.08124 posted at 12/22/10.
>=20
>   > Is the indexing broken?
>=20
> PAUSE still has the directory maintained but ftp.perl.org is not
> mirroring it. Maybe the mirroring there can be restarted, I'm not in the
> position to check that.
>=20
> We are tending to remove the whole directory because it's an insane way
> of maintaining information. The canonical way of indexing takes place in
> .../CPAN/modules/02packages.details.txt.gz
>=20
> But if people rely on the symlink tree, maybe we should keep it up. The
> two directories by-modules and by-category contain 240000 symlinks and
> diretories. Compared to the 1 MB of the 02packages.details.txt.gz file
> it's a monstrosity.

I don't believe this will be inhibitive to FreeBSD ports, but removing
the directly will break old ports. If new ports are made with whats in
02packages.details.txt.gz, then there won't be any problems. Port
maintainers just need to be aware of this decision.

I'm cc'ing freebsd-perl so that others can share their input as well. I
started an original thread with subject:
MASTER_SITES/MASTER_SITE_SUBDIR for perl ports

--=20
milki
milki@rescomp.berkeley.edu
RSSP-IT programmers