Date:      Fri, 2 Aug 1996 22:48:53 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        unix@usashopper.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [Fwd: FreeBSD]

On Thu, 1 Aug 1996 unix@usashopper.com wrote:

> I've been in the UNIX game for over 18 years. What's the catch?  Are you
> telling me that I can put up an entire website using only your software
> and it's going to cost less than $100.00? I spent 3 hours going through
> your system. Am I missing something.

Absolutely!  You'll have to add some knowhow, the network connection, and
appropriate hardware, but it can be, rather I should say, IS done around
the world.

Case in point, resnet.uoregon.edu is a throwaway 486 that we converted
into our department's Web server and general UNIX box.  Total cost: $0.
We've added more memory and another disk since then, but we have a fully
functional, high-performance box for peanuts.

> IF I decide to throw away SCO-UNIX and go with you what do I need and
> how much will it cost.

You need:

A PC with supported hardware.  This is the tough part; a bit of oddball PC
hardware isn't supported.  But it never hurts to try the install floppy
and see if it works.

The FreeBSD software.  You can obtain it from:

1)  FREE off the Internet from ftp.freebsd.org.
2)  For ~$60 from Walnut Creek CDROM.  (be sure to order 2.1.5-RELEASE)

Just pop in the install floppy, configure the devices, and select a
retrieval method, including from CD, floppies, a DOS slice, or FTP from
the Internet or a local machine.

After that, a good dose of BSD sysadmin experience, some good books and
this list (questions@freebsd.org, main FreeBSD support)  should get you
going.

If you have any other questions just let us know!