Date:      Thu, 25 Sep 1997 21:50:31 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Andrew E. Stevens" <root@ppp0002.log.on.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Help!

Greetings:

   While trying to set up a gateway today, my /dev/de0 device (ethernet card) somehow lost its device characteristics.  Now, whenever the command "cat /dev/de0" is typed, this device prints out a copy of the FreeBSD copyrights.  Help!  Does anyone know how this happened, or have any idea how re-make this device?  The same thing happened to /dev/null a couple of months ago, but since things seemed to function normally, I ignored it.  Thanks in advance, and please forward any replies to <andrew@log.on.ca>, as I am not currently subscribed to the FreeBSD mailing list.  Take Care.

-Andrew Stevens.