Date:      Wed, 27 Jan 2021 12:41:42 -0300
From:      "Dr. Rolf Jansen" <freebsd-rj@obsigna.com>
To:        =?utf-8?B?TWljaGHFgiBHw7Nybnk=?= <mgorny@gentoo.org>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hang while trying to boot armv7 on qemu-system-arm

<mgorny@gentoo.org>:
>=20
> Hi,
>=20
> I'm currently working on improving LLDB support for FreeBSD.  As part
> of that, I would like to do some testing on all platforms that are
> supported by LLDB on FreeBSD.  I've been trying to boot armv7 via qemu
> following the recipe on wiki [1] but without success.
>=20
> I've been trying the armv7 images from FTP, 12.2 in GENERICSD and RPI2
> variants, and 12.1 in GENERICSD variant.  In all cases, the system
> seemed to hang at 'spinner'.  While qemu used 100% of one of the CPU
> threads, nothing new was output for a few minutes (FWICS FreeBSD's CI
> sets a timeout of 60 seconds), so I suppose it actually hanged.
>=20
> The last screen of output I got is:
>=20
> ```
> /boot/kernel/kernel text=3D0x8b757c data=3D0xa4d90 data=3D0x0+0x1f4000
> syms=3D[0x4+0xa42d0+0x4+0x106515]
> can't find '/boot/entropy'
> /boot/kernel/umodem.ko text=3D0x1520 text=3D0xf10 data=3D0x234+0x4
> syms=3D[0x4+0xe70+0x4+0xa74]
> /boot/kernel/ucom.ko text=3D0x1714 text=3D0x2c6c data=3D0x3c4+0x838
> syms=3D[0x4+0x13e0+0x4+0xbac]
> can't find '/etc/hostid'
>=20
> Hit [Enter] to boot immediately, or any other key for command prompt.
> Booting [/boot/kernel/kernel]...              =20
> Using DTB provided by EFI at 0x47dfd000.
> Kernel entry at 0x57e00180...
> Kernel args: (null)
> |
> ```
>=20
> Does anyone have any idea what I am doing wrong?  Or have any recent
> successes booting FreeBSD on qemu-system-arm?
>=20
> Alternatively, would someone with real hardware or working VM be able =
> offer me shell access for a few days?  I only need to transfer my =
cross-
> built LLDB, run one unit test and test a bit of debugging on a trivial
> program, so I won't use many resources.
>=20
>=20
> [1] https://wiki.freebsd.org/QemuRecipes#armv7
> [2] http://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/arm/armv7/ISO-IMAGES/
>=20
> --=20
> Best regards,
> Micha=C5=82 G=C3=B3rny

I cannot be of help with QUEMU, but I could give you ssh access to one =
of my BeagleBone Blacks. This one is currently running 13.0-ALPHA2. =
Frequently I build world with WORLD_FLAGS=3D"MK_LLDB=3Dyes". LLDB builds =
fine for ARMv7 and it is usable to a certain extend on a BBB, but there =
are some issues. Perhaps we may discuss this later on.

Best regards

Rolf

Dr. Rolf Jansen
- -