Date:      Tue, 7 Oct 2003 16:48:10 -0500
From:      Eric F Crist <ecrist@tech-con-inc.com>
To:        "Tech Support" <tech@bennymid.com>, "freebsd-questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Gateway / Port redirection

--Boundary-02=_iSzg/cjLMpkiIu9

On Tuesday 07 October 2003 03:14 pm, Tech Support wrote:
 ||Snip||
> My question(s)
>
> a) is this overkill ( is there an EASIER way to do what I want ( port
> redirecting ) ( bearing in mind that although the lights are on in the
> attic they are at times low wattage :-)  )
>
> b ) WHAT do I need to change on my BSD box ( rc.conf  etc ) to make it
> work the way described ? Remembering that this is only temporary .
>
> Thanks in advance for any advice
>
> Regards
>
> Benny

Benny,

As great as FreeBSD is, you'd probably get as much done with a lot less=20
headache if you used a broadband gateway/router.  My Linksys BEFW11S4 has=20
done everything I need it to thus far.  This particular devil has built-in=
=20
802.11b wireless access, built-in DHCP server, port-forwarding, if you=20
purchase ZoneAlarm, you can input the purchase code and it will even act as=
 a=20
firewall!  The only things it will NOT do include connecting to a dial-up=20
internet provider and it can't act as a proxy server, but you shouldn't nee=
d=20
that with broadband, anyways. =20

What's great about the portforwarding is that it's not like the older ones,=
=20
where you just told it what computer was the DMZ and EVERYTHING incoming go=
t=20
forwarded.  Now, you can tell it that port 22 is ssh and your ssh server is=
=20
on the internal 192.168.0.4 computer and the web server is operating on por=
t=20
80 on 192.168.0.5, etc, etc.

I hope this helps. (In other words, there is an easier way to do this...)

=2D-=20
Eric F Crist
AdTech Integrated Systems, Inc
(952) 403-9000