Date:      Thu, 24 Apr 2008 00:04:19 -0500
From:      Novembre <novembre@gmail.com>
To:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   logout problem after running Compiz Fusion

Hi all,

I have installed Compiz Fusion on my machine, which has Intel 965G chipset,
using packages. I am running it on Xfce 4.4.2 on X.org 7.3_1 on FreeBSD
7.0-RELEASE. Compiz starts fine and is working fine, but I have some
problems with it, as follows.

My xorg.conf is uploaded to http://pastebin.com/f649537ab and is configured
according to instructions found at
http://wiki.compiz-fusion.org/Intel%20with%20AiGLX

I run Compiz with these commands:
----------
LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1; export LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT
INTEL_BATCH=1; export INTEL_BATCH
compiz --replace --sm-disable --ignore-desktop-hints ccp &
emerald --replace &
----------
I found the first two lines in the above-mentioned wiki page, and the last
two are from FreeBSD's guide at
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/articles/compiz-fusion/index.html

First problem is that I cannot log out of X.org, since it seems that the
system locks up. The background image on the desktop stays on the screen,
and I don't get dropped to the console. However, I can restart the system by
pressing Ctrl-Alt-Del. Since I can't see anything other than my background
image, I don't know whether I can run other commands or not. Here's what
gets added to /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old after I try to log out of Xfce:
----------
(II) intel(0): [drm] removed 1 reserved context for kernel
(II) intel(0): [drm] unmapping 8192 bytes of SAREA 0xc57de000 at 0x28805000
(II) intel(0): [drm] Closed DRM master.

Fatal server error:
Caught signal 11.  Server aborting

The second problem which happens occasionally (e.g. right now) is that it's
sometimes slow and sometimes with very good response. For example, when I am
typing this email now, I can feel that there's a lag or when I'm switching
windows or moving them around.

Any ideas on how to fix these (especially the first one)?

Thanks a lot :)