Date:      Mon, 1 Jun 2015 14:42:58 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Valeri Galtsev" <galtsev@kicp.uchicago.edu>
To:        "Aryeh Friedman" <aryeh.friedman@gmail.com>
Cc:        "FreeBSD FreeBSD" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: best options for a *WORKING* MTA

On Mon, June 1, 2015 1:59 pm, Aryeh Friedman wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 1, 2015 at 2:54 PM, Jerry <jerry@seibercom.net> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 1 Jun 2015 13:51:17 -0400, Alejandro Imass stated:

>> the
>> net
>> >
>> > I hate sendmail but I love FreeBSD and I simply not use it and use
>> Postfix.

>> > Not sure what you mean. I use Postfix in FBSD for years now.

>> up a
>> > >

>> > First describe what problems you are having exactly. General questions
>> > will only get you general answers.
>> >
>> > Basically you can simply disable Sendmail and enable Postfix and it
>> > works perfectly.
>> >
>> > There is a general recipe for it but YMMV so be more specific and
>> > perhaps we can be more useful.
>>

>> Add to /etc/rc.conf
>>
>> ## Disable SENDMAIL
>> sendmail_enable="NO"
>> sendmail_submit_enable="NO"
>> sendmail_outbound_enable="NO"
>> sendmail_msp_queue_enable="NO"
>>
>> ## Start POSTFIX
>> postfix_enable="YES"
>>
>> Now, either manually shut down SendMail or reboot. If you don't reboot,
>> you
>> will have to manually start Posfix. Personally, I would recommend that
>> you
>> reboot. I will leave learning how to configure Postfix as an exercise
>> for
>> the
>> poster. Joining the Postfix Forum would probably be a wise move.
>>

> That's the exact procedure I tried several times before posting the
> request
> for help

Mail server configuration is something much-much larger that just enabling
the server daemon. Neither of system distributions will come with fully
configured mail server (and respecting himself sysadmin will not be using
something he didn't sonfigure himself anyway). As someone already
mentioned (or almost mentioned), you may need to hire some sysadmin to set
up email system for you (no, I am not available for anything like that).
Alternatively, you can do it yourself, but it will take weeks and a lot of
digging into how e-mail works - at least for one's first mail server
setup, then you will learn a lot by doing. But this will be a lot of work,
at least for the first time...

Just my $0.02

Valeri

Valeri Galtsev