Date:      Mon, 3 Feb 1997 21:32:54 -0800
From:      Locutus of Borg <ubushj02@mcl.ucsb.edu>
To:        "'support@cdrom.com'" <support@cdrom.com>
Subject:   FreeBSD 2.1.5

Greetings,

I have FreeBSD 2.1.5, and I can't find the GNU  "info" files for anything.  Specifically, I'm trying to find the info files for gmake, gcc and g++.  I checked the CDROM and they just plain aren't there.  Where are they?????????

ALSO:  How much trouble will I get myself into if I download the latest gcc from the GNU archive.  Does the 6M file come with source, so I can build it under FreeBSD?  Will the latest gcc (2.7.2.1) contain all the info files?  What if I ever need to build a new kernel - will gcc 2.7.2.1 work OK?

And finally:  There are a ton of libraries in /usr/lib that I have no idea what they are for.  Is there any documentation on the libraries that are installed there with FreeBSD, and what functions they contain?  I don't even know what applications or packages put in there, so I can't go to a specific program's documentation to find this out...

Can you tell I'm a UNIX newbie?

Thanks,
-John Bushakra (ubushj02@mcl.ucsb.edu)