Date:      Thu, 23 Jan 1997 21:28:25 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jamie Bowden <jamie@inna.net>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   newbie type environment

I have had several requests for the environment I setup for my wife, so
on ftp.inna.net:/pub/jamie/ is a file called newbie.tgz.  You will need
to get that, put the zap perl script in /usr/local/bin, and compile and
install runas.  All of these are in the .tgz file.

    You will need to make sure your kernel is pppd capable, cause I can't
stand user ppp.  You will need to touch /etc/ppp/options as root, or make it
an empty file if it already exists (I do everything on the command line).
You will need to place the three ppp.* files (in their own .tgz file) in
/root, and chmod the ppp.connect 0700, the ppp.dial 0700, and the ppp.pap (I
assume all ISP's are pap'ing these days) 0600.  You will need to edit
ppp.dial and ppp.pap with appropriate phone # and login/password
(respectively).  You could substitute sudo for runas, if you could turn off
the annoying 'gimme your passwd to do anything' feature.

Runas is an easy compile.  Read the instructions, edit the Makefile
before you do your final build, and make sure you check the line for
INSTALL, and replace it with a valid install command.  It does this to
insure you know it's install suid root, and so you aren't doing something
you are unaware of.  You might also want to change the base install dir
from /usr/local/runas to /usr/local.  You will need to be root to make or
edit all runas files ( they untar as root.staff owned).

I realise it could be easier, but I don't precompile runas do the fact
that I wouldn't accept a precompiled suid root binary, and won't give
someone else one either.  It shouldn't take anyone on any of these lists
more than half an hour to install this little package.  runas supports
acl's as well for a sudo like environment so you don't have to give a
totally clueless person full root access.

Jamie Bowden

Network Administrator, TBI Ltd.