Date:      Tue, 13 Jun 2006 16:24:17 +0200
From:      Erik Norgaard <norgaard@locolomo.org>
To:        Ashley Moran <work@ashleymoran.me.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Where is CARP?

Ashley Moran wrote:
> Hi
>
> Am I missing something here?  I'm running FreeBSD 6.1/amd64 and I can't see
> any sign of CARP.  The man page is there but very little else:
>
> $ sudo ifconfig carp0 create
> ifconfig: SIOCIFCREATE: Invalid argument
>
> $ sysctl -a | grep carp
> net.inet.ip.same_prefix_carp_only: 0
>
> I thought maybe it was a kernel option, but I can't see that either:
> $ cd /usr/src/sys/amd64/conf && grep -i carp *
> <NOTHING>
>
> And I thought it might be a KLD:
> $ cd /boot/kernel && ls *carp*
> ls: *carp*: No such file or directory
>
> Where is it hiding and how do I enable it?

See the NOTES filefor extra kernel options, /usr/src/sys/conf/NOTES:

device          pf                  #PF OpenBSD packet-filter firewall
device          pflog               #logging support interface for PF
device          pfsync              #synchronization interface for PF
device          carp                #Common Address Redundancy Protocol

Cheers, Erik